Return to Play Update
Posted October 23, 2020
Washington County Public Schools (WCPS) is committed to providing a safe, healthy learning environment for all students and staff. We are fortunate to be making progress in returning groups of students to schools and providing opportunities for athletes to participate in fall sports.
We must all work together and follow established guidelines to keep our schools open and our extracurricular programs running.
In this update, you will find information about:
- Spectator plan
- Event tickets
- Band participation
- Spectator guidelines
- Game schedules
WCPS is following the Maryland Department of Health’s guidelines for spectator capacity at indoor and outdoor events.
Indoor games are limited to no more than 50% capacity or 100 people (whichever is less).
Outdoor games are limited to no more than 50% capacity or 250 people (whichever is less).
We know it is disappointing we can’t fill the stands with fans this season. Just like you, we wish circumstances were different. We appreciate all of our families and our school communities coming together to give our athletes their chance to shine. WCPS promises to do our part to make sure athletes continue to have these opportunities to play as much as possible.
Each WCPS student athlete will be provided two spectator tickets for each game. This ensures that every athlete has an equal opportunity for spectators to attend their competitions. There is no charge for these spectator tickets.
- Tickets will be numbered and will include the team match-up and date.
- Tickets will be color-coded by school color.
- Players must write and sign their names on the back of the tickets. They will be assigned the same numbered tickets for each game.
- Spectators must present a signed ticket upon entry to each game. An attendant will check the tickets and account for them among the team roster.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, WCPS Gold Cards for senior citizens, State athletic passes, and employee IDs cannot and will not be honored as a ticket.
In order for the WCPS fall sports season to be healthy, safe, and successful, spectators must abide by the following guidelines and expectations:
- Face coverings are required to be worn over the mouth and nose at all times for both indoor and outdoor events.
- All spectators must stay in designated areas.
- Spectators must maintain physical distancing of six feet from others and cannot sit in groups.
- Spectators cannot leave and return to the event area during the competition.
- For all sporting events, social gatherings cannot occur on school property at any time. Spectators must leave immediately after the game concludes.
- Schools will be providing additional details regarding spectator arrival times, entrances and exits, and other event-related information.
- As is the case with all school events, spectators are expected to demonstrate proper conduct and positive sportsmanship.
Remember, we all play an essential role in preventing the spread of COVID-19, and your actions may impact not only our fall season but the seasons that follow.
WCPS fall student athletes will participate in an in-county competitive schedule. This is a precautionary measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Washington County from other communities.
High school fall sports schedules are posted at: .